On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 11:54 PM, Graeme Wilson <wandere...@live.com.au> wrote:
[cut for brevity]

> When I first started on OSM, I wanted to have altitude data in with the lat
> lon info, and was told bluntly that "OSM is a street map, not a GIS."
We do have altitude now in the Shuttle Radar Topography Mission data
(provided by NASA so doesn't require surveying by OSM at all!). Many
cyclists use this for their OpenCycleMap. eg.
http://www.opencyclemap.org/?zoom=4&lat=-33.43234&lon=145.67438&layers=B000
. I believe that there is a way to export this elevation data to
Garmin devices too - http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GroundTruth

> So, my bottom line is: Don't have non existant roads. OSM is a street map
> displaying roads that do exist!
I believe the intention of the discussion we are having here is that
we want to mark non-existant roads in such a way that we won't
accidently introduce them to OSM again if we get data from a source
that may be outdated or intentionally misleading (just like those
copying fearful mapmakers).
It will of course be essential that these are not displayed in a
misleading way (or not displayed at all) and are not suggested as
possible routes. We do have a way of marking no through roads via the
access=no tag so while whichever tag is chosen for nonexistent roads
is being adopted worldwide, we can still ensure that there will not be
any confusion. However, I'm not sure how that is displayed on the
various outputs (such as the Garmin devices, the web page maps etc.).