> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 10:47 AM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > If you can run a script over data it could also be pre-processed in a
> > similar manner without needing explicit tags on the objects.
>
> I had thought that the consensus was that layer tags *are* assumed, at
> least in cases like highway/bridge crossing river.

According to:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:bridge#Combining_with_Key:layer

and this:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:tunnel

layers are not assumed and have to be added manually.

The consensus may have been that all bridges and tunnels need to have a layer
tag and that's what I'm looking at.

> Before doing any mass updates, could we please make sure we establish
> consensus and document the hell out of it somewhere?

Of course.

The changes will be revertable with also possibly a tag along the lines of
added_by:automatic_layer_script to make easier identification.

Each bridge that currently does not have a layer tag would have layer=1 added.

Each tunnel that currently does not have a layer tag would have layer=-1 added.

The script checks what is currently tagged for the way and if it already has a
layer tag then it will not add a new tag and does not change the one already
there.

The script does the changes in small chunks, (configurable but currently set at
maximum 100 ways), so it is easy to look through each changeset to see what has
been added.

--
Cheers
Ross