> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 4:56 PM, Ross Scanlon <i...@4x4falcon.com> wrote:
> > Does not show up here.  I see only one name "Campbell Primary School".
> > Cyclemap and Osmarender show both names at maximum zoom.

> Often the node name is rendered on top of the way name, so you only
> see one. This depends on your zoom level and how close to the center
> of the way the node is.

> Mapnik takes into account the size of the way when deciding on whether
> to render the name or not at a given zoom level, I guess the idea is
> that small areas don't need the name rendered when you are zoomed out.
> This would explain why the ways name is not rendered when zoomed out,
> but a nodes name is.

I'm well aware of how mapnik works, as well as most of the other renderers,
being a developer of software that uses it.  In this case cyclemap and
osmarender show both names at maximum zoom only.

Mapnik will not render one name directly over the top of the other.  It will
overlap sometimes, on linear ways, but not on areas.

In the case of "Campbell Primary School" it only renders one name at even the
highest zoom level.

What you've done is basically a no-no, DON'T do mass deletes or changes of data
without discussing it first.  Two responses on the newbies list is not
discussing it.  Any discussion of this sort needs to be on the talk-au if it
affects Au or on the talk or tagging list if it affects everything.

--
Cheers
Ross