Vaidila Kungys wrote:
> We would like to ask you to tag any street with the following ratings
> so that we have more information for better routing. These ratings
> should be based upon your preference and experience of the streets:

Please please please please don't do this.

OSM tags are meant to be impartial and verifiable. Subjective ratings don't
work: a "1" for a hardened city commuter ("hey, this streetĀ lets me get to
work faster, and there are no awkward cycle facilities to negotiate") might
be a "5" for a novice cyclist.

As an example, I'm an area ranger for the National Cycle Network over here
in Oxfordshire (UK) and we maintain a lovely set of leisure routes. I'd
definitely rate them as 1. But if you search any UK cycling forum (for
example, yacf.co.uk or the uk.rec.cycling newsgroup) you'll find a hard core
of committed cyclists who feel that many NCN routes can be inconvenient and
badly designed, and would rate them at 4 or 5. And so on. We've had this
debate several times beforehand -
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/Cycleworth is one
example.

You can, of course, create a 'mashup' by using OSM data as a base, and
designing a website (or printed map) that superimposes your own subjective
rankings on top. That's one way to go.

The other (and best) way is to tag the individual factors within OSM which
make a good route: surface, traffic levels, incidence of annoying traffic
lights, etc. etc. Your routing or rendering setup can then juggle these to
get an estimate of what's "cycle-friendly" according to your own preferred
metrics. Traffic levels are hard to tag accurately, but in OSM, we iterate
towards accuracy: so you could make an estimate (based on counting traffic
in the other direction as you cycle along a road) of, say, 1000 vehicles per
hour, and when someone comes up with a better methodology they'll correct
it.

cc:ed to the international tagging list.

cheers
Richard