On 02/07/13 17:58, Steve Bennett wrote:
....  If people want to be specific with surface=dirt,
surface=gravel then that would be different.
Just a thought here, we'd really like "the renderers" to show unpaved/unsealed/whatever roads differently from sealed ones. In particular, the mapnik rendered slippery map on the OSM website....

They show little interest I must admit but will show even less if we point to a whole range of surface= tags that need that treatment. So might be better agreeing on one term rather than being very specific and saying 'dirt', 'gravel' etc. As I have mentioned before, this is a road safety issue as much as a presentation one.

I like the idea of 'unpaved', it gets heaps of use internationally and I should update the mapnik request accordingly...

David

So - yes, go ahead. :)

Steve