I am struggling with how to use "ephemeral" rather than the "intermittent" tag,
particularly when it comes to on-the-ground verification.

I have travelled in some rural and outback areas in western NSW and Queensland
and, to a lesser extent, in South Australia.  I also regularly look at
satellite imagery. If I see a waterway or lake without water, I am comfortable
to add the intermittent tag. But I don't see every waterway and lake often
enough to know how often the water flows. And satellite imagery is just a
snapshot at one moment, perhaps several years ago. How can one expect to verify
the frequency or duration of water flow? Another concern is that the total area
of a lake may be covered with water only occasionally but half the area may be
covered in water much more of the time. Do we try to work out which part of the
lake is ephemeral and which is intermittent?

I understand why it may be useful to map water areas differently if they are
not always filled with water. But trying to pictorially represent the dimension
of time on a two-dimensional map and somehow show multiple degrees of absence
of water, has me puzzled.

I don't think we would try to map roads differently according to whether they
carry traffic all the time, some  of the time, or  just occasionally.

I will work with whatever the community agrees, but I need help to understand
how to verify ephemeral as distinct from intermittent when mapping waterways
and lakes.