On 03/06/18 20:12, Andrew Harvey wrote:
On 3 June 2018 at 21:48, Dion Moult <d...@thinkmoult.com <mailto:d...@thinkmoult.com>> wrote:

    I've started using OSM more and more and I find it frustrating
    that many house addresses are not available in OSM. I would like
    to help by tracing many houses using ESRI as a base map (feel free
    to audit my history on OSM under the name "Moult").  I would also
    like to add address information (addr:housenumber and addr:street)
    to these ways however I don't think that we are meant to be
    copying from Google maps. Is there another map source that has
    addresses that we can use? Perhaps some form of government
    cadastre map? Is that allowed?

What do you mean by "ESRI as a base map" do you mean the "ESRI World Imagery" available in ID and JOSM? ESRI's map layers are not allowed, just like Google Maps or Google Street View which must not be used as we don't have the copyright permissions to use these.

As a bit of background, see https://github.com/Esri/arcgis-osm-editor/issues/104 and https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-hub/constituent-engagement/esri-world-imagery-in-openstreetmap/?rmedium=redirect&rsource=blogs.esri.com%2Fesri%2Farcgis%2F2017%2F08%2F24%2Fworld-imagery-in-osm .  I'm not a lawyer, but that github issue has contributions both from ESRI and members of OSMF's LWG, so I'd definitely read it.

Best Regards,

Andy