From: Andrew Harvey [mailto:andrew.harv...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 29 August 2018 11:28 PM
To: OSM Australian Talk List
Subject: [talk-au] Unmarked tracks (Figure of Eight Pools, NSW)

I'm seeking some feedback from the community about the way at
https://osmlab.github.io/osm-deep-history/#/way/157934548 should it exist in
OSM?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136319147@N08/22832546277/in/datetaken-public/

There isn't really any marked track on the ground, which is a big reason to not
include, however it is a path in the sense that it's a way that people follow
pretty much every day or at least every weekend in droves, it just hasn't
formed a track that you can see like other bush tracks because shoes don't ware
away bear rock that fast compared to dirt! It's verifiable and surveyable by
observing people follow the path. The fact that it's unmarked is recorded by
trail_visibility=no (a documented and used tag) and that it's over rock by the
surface tag.

I'm vocal about not tagging for the renderer or routed, but from a map
rendering and routing perspective it's desired to have this way in OSM.

Thoughts?