Thanks for the feedback.   I now realise that the easily accessible data from
Transport NSW is NOT licensed under Creative Commons and I would need
assistance to access the licensed data. Andrew, thanks for the offer to assist
in accessing the data.  However, on reflection, I don't think it should be a
priority.  The Transport NSW website  https://transportnsw.info/routes/bus
shows the most useful information , route by route, superimposed on the OSM
map.  For the time being, this is probably adequate for most users  rather than
refer to OSM's transport map layer.

So, at this stage,  I will leave it to others, with more knowledge and skills,
to progress use of this data when time permits.

Thanks again for the feedback and offer of assistance.