In regard to mapping reservoirs without water:

In rural areas, I have mapped some reservoirs with "intermittent=yes" where
that is appropriate. While they are correctly mapped as reservoirs, it is
probably helpful to show that there is not always water in them.  If some
imagery shows water and some doesn't, then I am comfortable to conclude that
the water is intermittent.