On 21/04/2020 13:50, Warin wrote:
> On 21/4/20 7:57 pm, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>> On 21/04/2020 09:53, Greg Lauer wrote:
>>> Hi Daniel,
>>>
>>> As both a (very amateur) military historian who has visited many of
>>> battlefields/CWG's through the Asia Pacific, Africa and Europe, as well
>>> as an Open Data proponent, I really like what you are trying to do. But...
>>>
>>> The terms and conditions of OSM in relation to data imports is fairly
>>> clear - unless the data is already licensed under an Open Data Commons
>>> Open Database License (ODbL) then you will need (preferably written)
>>> permission from the copyright holder.
>>>
>>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines#Step_3_-_License_approval
>>>

>>> A cursory glance at each of the providers websites does not indicate
>>> that they have licensed under ODbL. Yes, this is pain, but it is the
>>> only way OSM can ensure that the data can be legally used. Feel free to
>>> send them an email asking if they will give permission to make there
>>> data available in OSM. I can send you a template letter that
>>> explains the licensing conditions to the copyright holder. The CWGC data
>>> set would be great as a global dataset!
>> I've sent the emails but even if they don't respond before the weekend,
>> I still feel that people can do useful activities with the data, even if
>> it is not an import to OSM just yet
>

> I think all that can be done now is to look at the data, check if it is
> missing from OSM.
>
> If missing .. go there and map it, or use what imagery OSM has available and
> map what you can from that.
>
> You cannot copy data from the Anzacathon pages nor any linked pages,
> at least not any that are not compatible with OSM requirements.

I fully agree

As stated previously, I personally volunteer to go and do exactly what
you propose: visiting Anzac sites.  I'm in the alps every weekend, if
you look closely you will find one of my vehicles in the video.

Moreover, it may be midnight here but just for fun I'm going to stay up
and write a PostgreSQL stored procedure to calculate geodesics from any
point in any of the data sets.

That is helpful, but it is not the complete solution.  I registered
anzacathon.com but I don't claim to own it.  I'll do what I can, like
publishing my PostgreSQL code, but I put this out as a non-profit,
collaborative project.

Regards,

Daniel