On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 at 22:59, Luke Stewart <suburbansilvervl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> G'day talk-au,
>
> Increasingly at major intersections, there has been an effort to improve
> cyclist safety, which has led to some cycle lanes terminating before the
> intersection and providing a ramp for cyclists to join a shared path and
> use push button traffic lights to cross separated from the carriageway. As
> such, there has been an increasing use of "All Bicycles" signage, which
> from my research is legally enforceable.
>
> Some examples:
>
> https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/dQy7A06SHDfBKcN7xBKRFA (cycle lane
> terminates before the intersection)
>
> https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/2alrT9RBIzuY7JiFrnq6lQ (cycle lane
> terminates due to narrow bridge, so cyclists must use the adjacent shared
> path)
>
> My tagging mechanism for the connection between the roadway and the
> cycleway/shared path (via the flush ramp) has been
>
> highway=cycleway
> oneway=yes
> surface=paved
>
> Possibly not the best solution, but the best that I have come up with so
> far.
>
> As for the road after the ramp, I generally tag it with cycleway=no since
> the infrastructure disappears. However in addition to the
> aforementioned tagging scheme, I'm curious to whether the road beyond
> should be tagged with bicycle=no up until the next intersection. For
> instance, the first example would be tagged bicycle=no from the ramp until
> Tumbi Road. Whilst bicycles are not explicitly prohibited, the logical
> result from requiring cyclists to leave the carriageway is that they aren't
> allowed on the road, and I'm wondering how to replicate that properly in
> OSM so that routers can understand.

Can you point to any of your research that says these are legally
enforceable? I always thought these were advisory, or at least guidance for
those using the cyclelane, if you're cycling in the traffic lane does that
still apply? A motorway or tunnel which is signposted no bicycles is
clearly bicycle=no but I think we should see further if this is really
bicycle=no or just bicycle:advisory=no. I'm very keen to find out.

+1 for cycleway=no.

On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 at 23:14, Mateusz Konieczny via Talk-au <
talk-au@openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> Can you consider using more specific surface? Like surface=asphalt?

The problem here is this way is the crossing, so will likely cover mulitple
surface types, usually asphalt on the road, concrete for the gutter, and
paving_stones or concrete for the pavement. So surface=paved I'd say is
better when it's not clearly any single surface type.

> I'm curious to whether the road beyond should be tagged with bicycle=no up
> until the next intersection. For instance, the first example would be
> tagged bicycle=no from the ramp until Tumbi Road. Whilst bicycles are not
> explicitly prohibited, the logical result from requiring cyclists to leave
> the carriageway is that they aren't allowed on the road, and I'm wondering
> how to replicate that properly in OSM so that routers can understand.
>
> Is there any case where cyclist would be allowed to use the road (for
> example - cycling is some
> specific direction requires using road as bikeway is not going there), but
> generally
> sidepath should be used whenever possible?
>
> In such case bicycle=use_sidepath would be better match.
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:bicycle%3Duse_sidepath

The wiki says that's for when it's compulsory to use the shared
path/cycleway but the road is not signposted as no bicycles. So that
certainly may apply here. I guess it depends what the sign means.