Graeme - I hope your only using google maps as an example here and not as your source for mapping. (I mention this here so others don't start using google to map into OSM)

Andrew/Luke
I too would question the legal implication of the sign. As a cyclist if traffic was 'light' (as in no traffic) I would continue using the road - why .. because the traffic lights proitorise vehicle of pedestrians leading to less delays by using the road rather than the footpath. When traffic is not 'light' I would prefer the footpath for my safety.