I know (I know), I’m talking to the Australia list and I’m in the USA
(California).  I have friends from Oz, but I’ve never been (I’d love to visit
as a tourist, it’s on my bucket list).

In the USA, the USPS (postal service) uses five-digit “ZIP” codes (Zone, digit
1; Improvement, digits 2 and 3; Plan, digits 4 and 5) for what you call
postcodes, the five-digit version generally identifies a single post office,
big or small.  Started in the 1960s (or so), they have grown to “ZIP+4” codes
(nine digits) that seem to specify right down to a “side of a street on a
block,” single apartment building, or even individual house level.  I believe
there are even 11-digit versions (crawling right up yer bum, it seems; with 11
digits, even my cat could have his own ZIP code).  On the other hand, I have a
Post Office box (identified by four digits) and the post office is identified
by its five-digit ZIP code.  I once test-mailed an envelope to myself with just
nine digits properly hyphenated (no name, no house number, no street, no city,
no state), and sure enough, it arrived in my box.  (It had the usual
"sprayed-on” zebra/barcode representing the ZIP+4 along the bottom to
facilitate machine-reading further along the pipeline that all our other mail
has, too, but was otherwise addressed with “only the ZIP+4”).

Three points about ZIP codes which might be similar to postcodes in Australia
(and Canada and the UK, it seems):  despite what most people think, ZIP codes
are NOT required for a letter to be delivered.  It might take a bit longer
without one, but it WILL be delivered.  City, State, ZIP?  (Or ZIP+4?):  not
really required, as City, State (only) does suffice.  Secondly, I’ve discerned
(and had others who should know confirm) that a ZIP code is much like a
“routing algorithm” (of 5, 9 or 11 digits):  it is NOT a geographic area that
can be (easily) described by a polygon, even a multipolygon.  I mean, plenty of
cartographic gymnastics have made geographic areas OUT OF ZIP codes (or
postcodes) — some relatively “successfully” (accurately?) but they are not such
things (a geographic area, even as they seem as though they are).

Finally, the whole thing about “these are the property of the post office and
we’re going to be very non-sharing with them…” seems to be widespread with
postcodes, I’m not sure why that is, but hey, if postal services want their
codes to be proprietary, they can do that.  But that should make cartographers
like us think twice about why we’re including them in a map:  what, exactly,
can putting these data in OUR map “buy” us by doing so?  Yes, I know there is a
general attitude of “postcodes are NEEDED, else how will the mail get
delivered!” (thought in our mind’s voice approaching a shrill panic).  But,
recall, (at least in the USA, maybe Australia, Canada, UK..., too) they aren’t
strictly needed, but are more of a convenience for automation and the internal
workings of how to sort and deliver mail, not really a function a map needs to
provide its consumers (anyway).

Things to think about, and perhaps quite non-overlapping, but I felt like
typing all that, so thanks for reading.