I really hadn't expected people here to have such delusions about some of the
cornerstones of highway mapping in OSM which have been firmly established for
over a decade.

To quote the wiki (
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Editing_Standards_and_Conventions#Divided_highways
 ):

A divided highway (also separated highway) is any highway where traffic flows
are physically separated by a barrier (e.g., grass, concrete, steel), which
prevents movements between said flows.

The concept of what constitutes "physical separation" has been very firmly
established. And simply paint on the road surface isn't it. There are plenty of
tags available to record information about legal restrictions imposed by paint.
Splitting the way is not one of them.

Also, you somehow seem to be under the misconception that OSM (name
notwithstanding) is a *map*. It's not. It's a database with geospatial
information.

When you are editing OSM, you are not drawing a map. You are recording
geospatial information, abstracted by established tagging patterns. Some of the
data consumers of that information, after picking, choosing, and interpreting
while render a map derived from that information.

Cheers,
Thorsten