On Tue, 15 Mar 2022 at 07:17, Andrew Davidson <thesw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I didn't. The thought was based on how people were tagging other
> variable lane counts: https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/1gSc

Yeah and I think that's correct for reversible/tidal flow lanes where the
lane count in either direction or even in one direction changes throughout
the day where they open/close lanes on a schedule. I've used
lanes:conditional along with
lanes:forward:conditional/lanes:backward:conditional for this myself.

Maybe I am overthinking it. If you go with what the wiki says, then
> lanes=* is just a literal count of how many lanes are painted on the
> ground regardless of how often you can use them.

Yeah I think that's the way to do it, though for example
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/252133052#map=18/-33.89141/151.20767 you
can see on the imagery the western side of the road has much shorter dotted
lines so likely this lane is only for parking and not meant for regular
traffic flow, in which case it wouldn't be included in the lane count in my
opinion. In contrast to the road from
https://www.openstreetmap.org/note/2551595 where it's painted as a regular
lane and is used as a regular lane during special events so it's a full
traffic flow lane but mostly used for parking.