Good stuff Dian!

I don't know how widespread the problem is, but Garmin GPS navigation devices see no road surface tag as sealed. This can create routing stress for the driver and possibly safety issues. Might be worth mentioning that it's far better to default tag new roads in non urban areas as unpaved than no tag, if the surface is unknown.

I use surface:fine_gravel in places. Problem is that the gravel eventually wears off and it becomes.. unpaved! Unpaved is also what one would use if sourcing only from overhead imagery. This all for another discussion though.

Cheers Bob