On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 at 20:28, Bob Cameron <bob3b...@skymesh.com.au> wrote:

> Good stuff Dian!
>
> I don't know how widespread the problem is, but Garmin GPS navigation
> devices see no road surface tag as sealed. This can create routing stress
> for the driver and possibly safety issues. Might be worth mentioning that
> it's far better to default tag new roads in non urban areas as unpaved than
> no tag, if the surface is unknown.

No, that would be tagging for the renderer. It should be fixed by the
software/vendor to use a different default or simply display this to the
user as unknown surface. If the surface is not known it should have no
surface tag, and surface=paved/unpaved/etc only tagged when known.

> I use surface:fine_gravel in places. Problem is that the gravel eventually
> wears off and it becomes.. unpaved! Unpaved is also what one would use if
> sourcing only from overhead imagery. This all for another discussion though.

I'm still not sure the best way to tag gravelly rocky sandy soil and
usually just use unpaved.