On Jun 26, 2022, at 6:24 PM, Ben Kelley <ben.kel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure if this helps, but a "bus lane" allows buses, taxis, bicycles
> and hire cars. A "bus only lane" allows only buses (not taxis and hire cars).
> (Neither allow rental cars.)
>
> The psv wiki page suggests tagging individual types if necessary, but implies
> that a taxi is a PSV.
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:psv
>
> I think you should probably put taxi=no for a "bus only lane" but not for a
> "bus lane".
>
> IANAL but I'd guess that ride share services are not taxis in this context.

I'd say a "municipal" taxi, that is, one regulated by municipal and/or state
law, often requiring a "medallion" (an "award" by the driver that bonding,
knowledge...requirements are met, often in accordance with state law) IS part
of what might be allowed in a "bus lane" (though, I agree not a "bus only"
lane). However, an Uber/Lyft/whatever, no.

Thank you for understanding we are not talking about "cars for hire" what in
the USA is called a "rental car."

Good to have international dialog about this; some of the issues are a bit
subtle.