I think that if there has been *active* measures to rehabilitate the track
(eg "brushing over", track closed signs *and* barricades, then fair-enough,
delete/make invisible the track.

But if the land owner is not making much effort, we should map what's on the
ground.

Ian

> [...]
> users looking for closed paths.
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

> I recall these discussions vaguely.
> Was not one of the reasons for removing them from the map as the rangers
> or gov wanted them to be renaturatin etc. So from that perspective I
> understand why not having them in a map is in their interests.
>

> On 21 September 2023 11:25:02 pm AEST, Andrew Harvey
> <andrew.harv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Thu, 21 Sept 2023 at 20:57, Mark Pulley <mrpul...@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> >
> >> I know this has been discussed on the list before, but the NSW NPWS
> >> has deleted some informal paths at Apsley Falls (Oxley Wild Rivers
> >> National Park).
> >>
> >> These were deleted in 2022 by a NPWS employee, and after discussion
> >> were reverted. I re-surveyed them later that year.
> >> These paths have been recently deleted again, initially edited by a
> >> different NPWS employee. (Three different change sets, summarised
> >> below.)
> >>
> >> I had thought the consensus last time was to leave the paths in,
> >> tagged as informal=yes (unless the path has been formally closed, in
> >> which case access=no can be used). Is this still the case? Also, do
> >> we need to add a policy to the wiki for similar situations?
> >>

> >We have
> >https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Tagging_Guidelines/Cycli
> >ng_and_Foot_Paths#Closed/Illegal_Path
> ><https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Tagging_Guidelines/Cycl
> >ing_and_Foot_Paths#Closed/Illegal_Paths>
> >
> >Informal Paths (informal=yes) - these would still show up as for use,
> >but with the note that they may not be maintained, may not have signage
> etc.
> >
> >Closed Paths (abandoned:highway=* or disused:highway=* + access=no) -
> >These should not show up as for use, but still be present in OSM data
> >for users looking for closed paths.
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 16:37:01 +1000
> From: "Phil Wyatt" <p...@wyatt-family.com>
> To: "'Sebastian S.'" <mapp...@consebt.de>,
>       <talk-au@openstreetmap.org>, "'Andrew Harvey'"
>       <andrew.harv...@gmail.com>, "'Mark Pulley'"
> <mrpul...@iinet.net.au>
> Subject: Re: [talk-au] Deletion of informal paths by NSW NPWS
>
> Hi Folks,
>

> Personally, I believe if the managing agency requests that the tracks be
> removed from the map then as good corporate citizens we should do
> everything possible to lower the promotion of such tracks. Track managers
> also have a responsibility to also actively advise people and if the area
is high
> use then signage and rehabilitation at the locations will help.
>

> Track rehabilitation, even when undertaken actively, can take many, many
> years and there will likely be remains of the
closed/abandoned/rehabilitated
> tracks showing in some environments, on some imagery, for an extended
> period of time.
>

> I don?t believe that the abandoned or disused tags adequately reflect the
> desire of the managers but it is supported by some. Some users may see
> those tags as an ?opportunity? to reopen the track and promote use back to
> previous levels and they may do this without the backing of the agency.
>

> In a nutshell, in this instance, they are asking for folks to stop going
there. I
> also feel that if a track has active rehabilitation being undertaken then
> better tag would be rehabilitated:highway=type along with access=no. Many
> such tracks will get limited rehabilitation at the ?take off points? only
and the
> rest of the track will be left to very slowly rehabilitate, maybe with
some
> occasional bars to impede water flow and allow buildup of debris. Again,
it
> will take many years for full rehabilitation to take place.
>

> So my view is?
>

> *     If you cant see the track on the imagery ? delete it.
> *     If you can see the track in imagery ? then tag it appropriately to
> discourage use as per the managers desire. Also work with the managers to
> actively close the tracks if you desire. Obviously if you are concerned on
the
> tagging then its also likely that the area is a favourite place for you.
Work with