On Sun, 1 Oct 2023 at 23:16, Yuchen Pei <i...@ypei.org> wrote:

> > The preparation and planning is well progressed in my view. There is
> > always going to be a long tail of corner cases and I was attempting to
> > handle more of these in the code and that never got finished. We
> > probably would be better to make a call to accept those corner cases
> > and go ahead with the import.
>
> Thanks for the context. Which of the 7 Stages mentioned in the README
> correspond to the corner cases?

It's been a while since I worked on this, but I believe it was the matching
of existing OSM addresses to Vicmap, and that matching affects most of the
import stages.

> > Are you interested in working on it?
>
> Absolutely! Thankfully git is decentralised so I don't really need a
> gitlab account.

It would be much easier if you can create one though as otherwise
collaboration will be difficult. From what I can see you just need either a
phone number OR credit card, so you should be able to create an account
without a credit card.

On Mon, 2 Oct 2023 at 11:45, Yuchen Pei <i...@ypei.org> wrote:

> Maybe we can go stage by stage. Stage 1 - postal_code is the first stage
> that has not been completed.
>
> I built the dist/postalCodeURLs.txt file (see attached) yesterday and it
> contains 2425 JOSM RemoteControl urls. Shall we go ahead and import
> them (or a newly generated version)?

I spent some time today reviewing the import again, and this one was ready,
so I've done it at https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/142031616

For context, we decided not to include addr:postcode on each address object
imported, therefore to ensure we can still capture address postcodes, they
are added to the admin_level=9 boundary relations. There were a bunch
already mapped but this changeset completed those missing the tag. My prior
analysis comparing these boundaries in OSM and the Vicmap address points
with postcode found this is a reliable way to ensure we have postcode
coverage, except for some edge cases mentioned in the import documentation.

> BTW, I'd assume the whole pipeline for each stage should be generated at
> approximately the same time, using the data downloaded at approximately
> the same time. If that is the case, it would make sense to have a
> Makefile rule for each stage, that remove all files in the pipeline for
> that stage and redownload and recompute them. What do you think?

It was built to run the whole process and generate all the outputs from all
the import stages together, at this stage I wouldn't be refactoring it.