On Tue, 3 Oct 2023 at 00:10, Yuchen Pei <o...@ypei.me> wrote:

> On Mon 2023-10-02 21:35:10 +1030, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
>
> > While OSM doesn't have layers, https://openaddresses.io/ more or less
> > acts as the address layer. The datasets there aren't all ODBL, but
> > they are generally open. It includes GNAF.
>
> Thanks, I didn't know of openaddresses, but I'm a bit confused - what
> does open mean here? I can't find the license of the GNAF data, but
> looking at its webpage[1] it does not look free. Does "open" here simply
> mean "gratis access"?

I recently updated a few of the Australian sources in OpenAddresses which
had stalled.

See
https://data.gov.au/data/dataset/19432f89-dc3a-4ef3-b943-5326ef1dbecc/resource/09f74802-08b1-4214-a6ea-3591b2753d30/

"The EULA terms are based on the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0
International license (CC BY 4.0). However, an important restriction
relating to the use of the open G-NAF for the sending of mail has been
added. The open G-NAF data must not be used form the generation of an
address or a compilation or address for the sending of mail unless the user
has verified that each address to be used for the sending of mail is
capable of receiving mail by reference to a secondary source of
information. Further information on this use restriction is available here."

On Tue, 3 Oct 2023 at 06:30, Simon Poole <si...@poole.ch> wrote:

> Except if something has massively changed, the GNAF data isn"t actually
> open.

Depends on your definition of open. Not open enough for OSM, but open
enough for most use cases.