On 2013-02-18 10:51, Glenn Plas wrote :
Since the meeting in Lier , I've been getting myself into the collection of housenumbers, I do have a few remarks / questions since starting this:

- Accuracy of the GPS on Samsung S3 is low
see 2 below.
- Never trust Bing maps too much concerning aerial photo's, The deepest zoomlevel seem to be offset (where available) but also quite aged.
I have mentioned many times (mailing lists and e-mail to taggers) that Bing zoom needs a per area JOSM offset correction. Its a pity to notice careful mappers devote so much time making maps offset because of Bing.
- Editing takes 4 times as much time as walking the walk
see 1 below (airplane speed).
- Many people don't even care about hanging up their housenumbers.
see 1 below.
- Walking in the dark is a bad idea, and watch out for people who consider their housenumber a private property, be prepared to make a run for it.
see 1 below.
- Map caching does not work in OSMPAD
- Always keep one eye for the road while scanning housenumbers, since they seem to define the landscape here I want to vote for the use of the tag 'barrier=dogshit', perhaps 'barrier=dogpile' for the larger concentrations.
I saw people sticking little flags on dog poop but one still has to watch one's steps. There's an impressive amount of hardware <http://www.befr.ebay.be/sch/i.html?&LH_AvailTo=23&_sop=15&_ipg=200&_kw=dog%20poop> for that software, but nothing of what you need. Resist using bags and putting them in the letterboxes, even if that raises the discussion among the concerned people. But if you walk your own dog while prospecting numbers, you will feel the leash loosen at every danger ;-)
questions
- Do you know of any hardware that gives better GPS fixes and comes with the ease-of-use OSMPAD delivers on entering numbers ? - Are there any better tools/software around for this type of work on Android ?
- What do you use?

1
The PICC maps <http://cartocit1.wallonie.be/pw/index.jsp> contains very precise building mapping with street numbers.
You'll never do better than an airplane.
This is one, just one, of the reasons why I say it's of paramount importance for us to be able to use PICC. People say that the government agrees to make it available but that they have no time to say yes. This is why I wait and I'm doing very limited house numbering business presently.

2
Does anyone have an opinion or recommendation about such cheap devices <http://www.tinydeal.com/index.php?main_page=ws_search_result&is_search=1&inc_subcat=&search_in_description=3&keyword=wifi+gps&is_input=&keyword=wifi+gps&cPath=&categories_id=54&disp_order=3>? (there are other similar shops) Usually, CN stuff is of fair quality but minimally documented and supported (e.g. no "MP4" games).
But that's different for Android, isn't it?
>22€ means a risk of paying taxes, but, according to Test-Achats, it looks like it's only VAT.

Cheers,

André.