On Sunday 06 October 2013 19:31:47 Glenn Plas wrote:
> What plugin ?  I know of none that do what this does.

I know none exists right now, but if you start making some controversial
decisions other plugins can appear. I once tried making a webpage once though
where you could just click the signs and it would translate them into pages.
It was actually working as well, but it had to use some experimental and self-
invented tags to handle the complex access restrictions (like goods vehicles
above 5 tons only allowed between 7am and 12pm for loading and unloading). Was
actually a tool to think about those complex restrictions rather than Belgian
tags. The tagging method for complex restrictions has grown up now and since
it's not the same as the one I used, the page is no longer found anywhere. I
can still dig it up if someone wants to take a look, it's all javascript and
svg and didn't work with Internet Explorer at all :-) Just don't look to hard
at it as some things were just wrong...

> I think the tool
> will help the discussion.  I'm just creating our translated/modded
> version that applies to our road code.  It's easy to begin with the
> basis tags , for instance: access=no , then later when adding subsigns
> for C3 like  "uitzgezonderd bus" , you need to get creative and check
> the wiki to find out this would have to be added : key="access:bus"
> value="yes"
>
> I won't be checking in any files until they are ok.  It will sure help
> beginners to map this, I spend hours in the wiki trying to translate
> that into the settings.
>
> But seriously , "End the discussion on how to tag everything" ?  You
> have too much spare time :)

I know, I've dwelt way too deep into this over the years and the things I
could do if I get all those hours discussing back :-) . It's always been one
of my goals in OSM to get access tags sorted out in a good and working way. I
certainly could have picked an easier topic because everyone has their own
ideas and they often are completely incompatible. Ranging from: tag everything
explicitely, all the way to: don't tag anything with access tags, just tag
what signs there are and let some tools do the translation. I've not given up
yet. But even if it never leads to a result, I certainly learned a lot about
our traffic code :-)

Ben