Hi,

We don't have all the answers yet. The only thing we know are the mails
Pieter has sent to the list and some details that have been discussed in
Brussels last week. But as I can see it at the moment:

The main benefit of this is that we will have a way of accepting
sponsorships and host the website without someone doing this on his/her own
name and without the overhead of creating our own association. We can still
use osm-be as a 'brand' and we have an organization that can back us up
doing this. Legally and administratively we will be better off. There are
also other benefits because the OKFN is an internationally pretty well
known organization.

Something I would like to do but I don't know if this is possible is to
become a local chapter of the OSMF.

Things I have in mind we could do in the future (and this is just a start)
with some basic funding:

- Host more events/meetups.
- Print flyers like I did at RMLL (https://github.com/xivk/osm-flyer-dutch)
but then in higher numbers and at more events (and in french too :-) )
- Host the website of osm.be (still having difficulty transferring the
domain name).
- Attend things like the AGIV Trefdag. It's a conference full of
professional GIS-people interested in OSM (who isn't).
     -> Program: http://www.agiv.be/gis/diensten/?artid=2111
     ->  ... but to have an OSM-stand we also need funding. They have an
open-data track but it costs and arm and a leg to have a stand!!
     -> Next year there will probably be a speaker from OSM on the
integration of CRAB (if we make some progress on this this year).
(- Maybe host tiles for Belgium later on with our own style.)

All of this is to increase the visibility and reputation of OpenStreetMap
and hopefully this will lead to more participation and more mappers.

Met vriendelijke groeten,
Best regards,

Ben Abelshausen