I think the boundary=postal_code makes a difference after all

compare

http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/details.php?place_id=52527679(Waterkluiskaai)
which uses the postal code point
with
http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/details.php?place_id=64725723(Bonheidensteenweg)
which uses the postal_code boundary, which is an extra
relation in this case. It does not extract the postal code from the admin
level 9 boundary.

 I'll admit that for another part of that street (
http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/details.php?place_id=83522405) it still
uses the (wrong) postal code point from Bonheiden. Maybe something was not
updated ? Althought the dates do not reflect that

regards