I guess we could use the "value" notation for most of them, similar to
noting a 70 km/h speed limit with traffic_sign=BE:C43[70]  as proposed by
the Finns.

> Shouldn't we have a proper discussion once about how we're going to
>> translate
>> all the traffic signs in OSM tags? A lot of traffic signs have different
>> variations
>> and if we just tag all of these under the same traffic_sign=* we're going
>> lose a lot of information.
>>

> Absolutely. A proper discussion is most certainly needed. I started adding
> data to that plugin without realising I was opening a can of worms doing
> so...
>

> We really need to know how to handle things like:
>>
>> * B15 (priority on next crossroad) with different lines

traffic_sign=BE:B15[left], traffic_sign=BE:B15[sharp_left;slight_right], ...

>> * C5+7+9+? combinations where different traffic signs are combined into
>> one
>>
>> That's a different beast. I think combining them with a + sign is most
logical here. Either C5+7+9 as you say, or C5+C7+C9. That multiple C might
make it more, or just less clear.

> * D1 and D3 (mandatory direction) with different arrows which don't have
>> separate names

I'm not completely sure about what arrows are used when. The slanted ones
are used on obstacles, and the ones with a line coming from the bottom are
used to obligate traffic. But the plain horizontal arrows seem to be used
for combined cases.

Knowing their use cases would help with tagging, possible values include
"keep_right" "turn_right" ...

For D3, it could again be tagged as BE:D3[no_right_turn] or similar.

>> * F45 and F45b (no exit, maybe except cyclists and pedestrians, maybe not
>> on
>> all routes), with different ways how the roads are laid out.

Does this also exist with only the pedestrian sign?

And sometimes, these signs do contain strange routing diagrams to show
which streets are a dead end.

>> * F91 with different traffic signs on each lane arrow (recursion anyone?)

Embedding it in an F91 value?

>> * F99a/b/c with different icons for pedestrians, cyclists, horses, and in
>> reality variations are found with mopeds and even gocarts
>>
>> These could be embedded in values, as long as we have a few standardised
names.

> * F103 for pedestrian roads with or without bicycle icon, other different
>> exceptions possible for loading or unloading
>

>> * and what about all the big destination signs that can have exotic
>> layouts?
>>
>> * bilingual traffic signs, how to map those?
>>
>> * and of course our governments and city councils are sometimes very
>> creative
>> with the traffic code...
>>
>> So yeah, maybe start a wiki page so we can discuss possible
>> implementations
>> for these issues?
>>
>> Greetings
>> Ben

So I guess there are solutions for most, though not always equally simple.

Btw, there's also the cycle variant of some signs (like the give-away
sign). Those variants are normally just a bit smaller.

Regards,
Sander