On 26-02-15 20:52, Marc Gemis wrote:
> Somewhere last weekend a new certificate was installed on osm.org
> <http://osm.org>. It's some kind of weird certificate (don't know the
> details, but it was discussed on the josm-dev mailing list), since it is
> signed by startssl.

StartSSL is a free certificate provider, and most probably firefox
doesn't have the intermediate certificate chain on board which means it
cannot verify.

That is probably the reason, although I do not see startSSL as the
certificate writer,  I see rapidSSL instead.  startSSL is not really a
great one to use actually for a site like this.

Apple products have the same problem with the latest GoDaddy certificates.

https://www.sslshopper.com/cheapest-ssl-certificates.html

You might want to try this in firefox:

https://www.sslshopper.com/ssl-checker.html#hostname=https://www.openstreetmap.org

And see if it gives you a chain error or not.  It will work in chrome,
but it depends on the browser.

If you don't get the all-green in firefox, you just need to assemble a
chain file with the missing intermediate certificates so the browser can
validate.

Note, this heavily depends on firefox (/browser) version, I see in my FF
that it loads the intermediates fine:

        Common name: RapidSSL CA
Location: US
Valid from February 19, 2010 to February 18, 2020
Serial Number: 145105 (0x236d1)
Signature Algorithm: sha1WithRSAEncryption
Issuer: GeoTrust Global CA

        Common name: GeoTrust Global CA
Location: US
Valid from May 20, 2002 to August 20, 2018
Serial Number: 1227750 (0x12bbe6)
Signature Algorithm: sha1WithRSAEncryption
Issuer: Equifax

Glenn