One of the problems I encountered when trying to add buildings from UrbIS,
is that it's still necessary to be able to survey, even with excellent
source data (that included the complete set of housenumbers and building
contours) and great aerial imagery. The full picture needs the ability to
have a look around in the streets to see what's there and where the
entrances are.

The problem when surveying is that it's almost impossible to decide what is
important and what is important to you, is not what is important for the
next mapper.

A convenient way to survey is making pictures. But having them on your
personal hard drive doesn't allow others to make use of them.

Of course, Google Streetview is off limits and the efforts of AGIV are also
beyond our reach.

So I was extremely happy to learn about the existence of Mapillary. Finally
a place where to send those thousands photos taken while surveying over the
years.

To me it's stil necessary to have people walk/drive/cycle through the
streets of Brussels (and elsewhere) and making pictures. Thousands of them.
My specific interest are bus stops and their surroundings. For a wheelmap
it's interesting to make pictures of both accessible and non-accessible
entrances of POIs.

For a cycle map it's interesting to have pictures of bicycle
infrastructure. This can go from dedicated parking space, bicycle rental
pickup/dropoff, bicycle shops and repair, bicycle repair stations with
tools, itineraries/routes, cycleways. Some things can be seen from above,
but where it's allowed to ride a bicycle against the flow of one way
streets, isn't usually.

So what I'm saying is: we need more and better source material. It's not
difficult for people to help out with gathering / surveying this.

Then during a mapping party, we can focus on using these pictures to add
details to the map.

The mapping party would serve to bring people with specific interests into
contact with people who know how to add /integrate them into the OSM data.

It could also serve to demonstrate how to get get the specific data of
interest out once again and render it nicely.

Just my 200 cents.

Jo