Great,

Check with the ULB, if they have done things like RMLL, FOSDEM and so on, they
should have a package deal specifically for such events.
About the dates: It depends on your target audience and local events (Belgian /
ULB local). So not to close to holiday periods (summer is possible though) or
when they are other global / EU / Local events attracting the same target
audience. Having smaller local events to build up to the main event is however
a smart choice.

Making this a free and accessible event is something I support you in
completely. However, it is a big challenge. I didn’t like charging people 130
euros to go to Open Belgium 15 but even then it wasn’t nearly enough to cover
for all the costs, even while doubling the amount of sponsors from last year.
The fact that this was a commercial venue did not help us though.

Kind regards,
Pieter-Jan

Pieter-Jan Pauwels
Community Coordinator, Open Knowledge Belgium
m: +32 476 66 27 77 <tel:+32 476 66 27 77> | e: pieter-jan.pauw...@okfn.org
<mailto:pieter-jan.pauw...@okfn.org> | w: okfn.be <http://okfn.be/>