Hi,

One remark for the wood-tag:
The tag natural=wood <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural%3Dwood> is sometimes used for forests, but since natural=wood would refers to unmanaged, natural forests, IMHO it should not be used in Belgium since no more forests are completely natural: every patches of forest in Belgium has experienced human interventions in the recent history.
In several forests Zoniƫnwoud, Meerdaalwoud, ... are some nature reserves.
Places where nature can have its course and where only very minimal human intervention take place (eg clearance of paths) I think these reserves (Joseph Zwaenepoel, Kerselaerplein, Everzwijnbad, Pruikemakers) could qualify as wood.

I think meadow is a good tag for the grass lands. Conversion between farmland and grass land takes somtetimes place but mosttimes as incidental crop harvest of grass.
Making a pasture requires also fencing, which is not a temporary measure.

So, when there is a grass land without fence surrounded by farmland, it is likely farmland.
Other grass lands are usually fenced and are meadow.
Local knowledge will tell if it is to be one or the other

Regards,
Gerard.

Julien Minet wrote:

Hi list,

Following some discussions about landuse=farmland|meadow some times ago in this list, I've written an article here (http://www.nobohan.be/2017/04/20/landuse-osm-belgium/) about land-use mapping in Belgium: what could be the best practices adapted to the Belgian landscape. Of course, there's matter for discussions about that topic ;-)

I think this text could be used to make a page on https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Belgium/Conventions/, since it discuss what are the local conventions for land-use mapping in Belgium.

Do you also want to put this text on osm.be <http://osm.be>, similarly to the Marc Gemis articles? Maybe a better place for discussions...

Cheers,

Julien