Julien, and others,

thanks a lot for this text. I still have to go through all the
details, but here are already some remarks.

- Me too, would love to see landuse=forest be used in a more strict
way, only for areas where timber is really used for commercial
purposes. It's even possible that at certain periods there are no
trees in such areas. For the rest I would love that landcover=trees
would be more accepted and rendered.
One of the reasons is that landuse=forest clashes with e.g.
landuse=residential in large private parks.  But I fear too any people
stick to their "managed" definition and just want to see trees on the
default map.

- Some mapper split a landuse=farmyard and use landuse=residential
around the farm itself. I do not do this. What do you think about this
?

- During one of my recent walks I found some areas like
https://xian.smugmug.com/OSM/OSM-2017/2017-04-02-Postel-AK/i-5D62hDt
some were larger than what you see on this picture, I think I would
use natural=grassland on those. Other suggestions ?   It was hard to
take a better picture

- Often it is better to use natural=tree_row instead of
landuse=forest/natural=wood IMHO.

regards