Yes the node approach is only done when the boundaries are unknown (and so
this is an approximation) but in this case, as we have the boundaries as
open data, we could add them indeed. You can see it in the wiki page too
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:place>. Thus, creating a polygon
using the exact boundaries of the open data with the tag
"place=neighbourhood" + "name=*" should be fine. You can just import a
shapefile or similar format in JOSM for example, and tag it correctly.