Hi Colin,
(not sure if someone else answered)

Your super long gps track is just fine for OSM.
Just upload the track on the main openstreetmap.org site.

Your track goes up to the 'GPS track-o-sphere' so it mixes in with
everyone elses tracks on the planet.
Making for a merky 'shower of gpx tracks'.

So when you are editing a street/way/path.
You can view all of the tracks in the area. In potlatch, there is a
button for it, and JOSM you have to include it with a check-box, when
downloading the area.

Also use the Toporama WMS layer as a guide.
You can fine tune the road so it matches up with the 'median' /middle
of the mess of tracks. Remembering that some of them could have been
on side walks and others using a poor quality gps recording.

Its best to work on detailing 1 area at a time & upload your changes,
than to try and work on the entire area at once.

In JOSM, I simply open up that gpx track file (after already loading
it to the gps-track-o-sphere) then zoom in & download the area of the
starting point & make edits as you go along, and upload the changes.

Hope that helps,
cheers,
Sam

On 5/28/10, Colin McGregor <colin.mc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've spent much of the past week in eastern Ontario and done some
> mapping near the Ontario/Quebec boarder while visiting an old
> friend... I do have a few questions...
>
> - Coming back Toronto I set-up my GPS and recorded a track from
> Cornwall, ON to Toronto, ON on the VIA Rail train (why, because I
> could :-) ). So, we are talking a *.gpx file track of approx. 400 km.
> (or approx. 250 miles). My temptation would be to upload that whole
> track, but I have read comments about not uploading tracks that are
> too long. So, what is the recommended upper limit for a *.gpx track
> length and are there any Linux friendly tools that make splitting
> track files painless?
>
> - My friend in eastern Ontario looked over the Open Street Map of his
> village (near Cornwall, ON) and noted some errors. Some missing
> streets I now have *.gpx track files to correct. I have a reference to
> a village owned website that notes village council meeting minutes
> regarding street name changes. The village council minutes will note
> things like "the street named X is being changed to street name Y".
> Can I depend on those meeting minutes or should I send friend out with
> camera and ask him to take images of the sign at the intersection of
> streets A and Y?
>
> Thanks.
>

> Colin McGregor

Twitter: @Acrosscanada
Blogs: http://acrosscanadatrails.posterous.com/
http://Acrosscanadatrails.blogspot.com
Skype: samvekemans
IRC: irc://irc.oftc.net #osm-ca Canadian OSM channel (an open chat room)
@Acrosscanadatrails