My approach is, build it and they will come.

Have you seen the CanMatrix geoTIFF & CanTopo PDFs?

This digital paper map, includes more features that are not available
in canvec, such as municiple boundaries (and in BC) it includes
backroad logging roads.
These PDFs can be freely traced.

Anyway, the point is, i think is better to fully exhaust the resources
we already have, as there is a TONNE of data available to us.
Once winnipeg sees the top quality map that OSM is becomming, i thing
they would approach the OSM Community.

Anyway, the pdf re-discovery was just in the past few days. Were
chatting about that on #osm-ca IRC.
Cheers,
Sam

On 6/22/10, Tyler Gunn <ty...@egunn.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm considering writing a letter to the civic government here in Winnipeg
> to ask for permission/access to their GIS data.  The aerial imagery alone
> available on their website is a HUGE treasure-trove of information; 20cm
> 2009 aerial imagery!!! :)
>
> Has anyone ever approached the local government in this manner?  If so is
> there any "starting point" letter I could use that someone has?
>
> Thanks!
> Tyler
>
> --
> --
> Tyler Gunn
> ty...@egunn.com

Twitter: @Acrosscanada
Blogs: http://acrosscanadatrails.posterous.com/
http://Acrosscanadatrails.blogspot.com
Skype: samvekemans
IRC: irc://irc.oftc.net #osm-ca Canadian OSM channel (an open chat room)
@Acrosscanadatrails