On may 23, strong winds up to 80 km/h pushed rapidly Lake Champlain water in
Richelieu river. For the second time in a month, a high level record have been
registered in Lake Champlain and Richelieu river basin.

My city and a total of 18 cities are principally affected. No severe injuries
are registered, but people are fighthing to save there houses. Many people are
fragile and severely affected of a month long of fighting with nature elements.
Many retired persons and low level revenu persons are living in this area.
Exhausted volunteers are building dikes around homes. Tension and frustration
is becoming high among affected people. Many have already lost there houses.

The next steps (cleaning, repairs) will bring thousand of people in affected
zones. SOS-Richelieu, a Volunteers organization in wich I am involved
(http://sosrichelieu.com/ ) , is requesting Indexed maps of streets of the
affected zones. HOT Team and OSM mappers can help by assuring these maps be
available rapidly.

If it was possible, the best would be to use a tool such as Mapsomatic to
produce Indexed street maps for a specific zone delimited by a boundary
relation. We do not want to produce a map a all a city but only of flooded
zones. If you have any idea in how to do so, your comments would be appreciated.

I started a wiki page at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/2011_Richelieu_river_flooding

I also started to roughly draw affected zones using the following tags.
natural=wetland
damage=flooded
note=temporary; richelieu river flooding may 2011

For the time being, this is a draw of the affected zone. But is enough to see
in wich areas, the street names should be added.

I should obtain soon detailed maps produced by cities of affected zones and
will then modify the map in consequence.

Regards,

Pierre Béland
Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu