Hi Pierre,
thanks for the response.

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Pierre Béland <infosbelas-...@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> I dont know how you conclude that there is no wetlands around this area in
> Laval.  It is not sufficient to see houses around to conclude that there is
> no wetland. These are often wooded areas with water all over.  Google
> physical also shows a stream starting from this area.
>
> The link below shows a comparison of this area with Google imagery.  Are you
> sure that there is no wetland in this area.
> http://tools.geofabrik.de/mc/?mt0=mapnik&mt1=googlehybrid&lon=-73.91012&lat=45.69989&zoom=17
This is a misunderstanding. I did not mean that there is _no_ wetland
in the area. But I'm pretty certain that the boundaries of the wetland
are wrong:

http://tools.geofabrik.de/mc/?mt0=mapnik&mt1=googlehybrid&lon=-73.90457&lat=45.69533&zoom=17

Aside from the wetland issue (see below), we can probably agree that
the area is not natural = wood, even if some people might have planted
trees in their yards.

> The link below shows an aera in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu were houses have
> been built for over 30 years. Look how many houses were flooded last year.
> Zoom in to see areas that were flooded.
> http://pierzen.dev.openstreetmap.org/hot/openlayers/inondation-richelieu-2011.htm?zoom=16&lat=45.28568&lon=-73.24907&layers=B000TFFFF
>
> My experience, as a volunteer for SOS-Richelieu, last year, showed me how
> that too often the municipalities have accepted that contractors build
> houses over wetlands. And this was often the case with Laval.
Okay, this is a different issue, coming down to the definition of what
"wetland" is. I'm by no means an expert, but in my understanding you
can't have a residential area in wetlands. In order to build houses
you must first use drainage channels etc. to turn wetland into
developed land. The fact that there can be flooding in a given area
doesn't make it into wetland to me. The wiki isn't very explicit about
this (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural%3Dwetland) but
the specific subtypes seem to hint at a definition stricter than
yours. Maybe someone can tell us what definition is used for Canvec.

Cheers,
 Harald.