On 19/10/2017 16:53, Tracey P. Lauriault wrote:

But one thing is for sure if we want to do university to community collaboration, and we want to experiment, teach and learn, flexibility is required and maybe sandbox practice spaces or testing space.

Absolutely - I've become something of a broken record on OSM's mailing lists suggesting that people try things out on OSM's "dev" server or some other sandbox, and create their own copy of OSM's rendering server so that they can test out map style changes.  Using a different server will have knock-on effects if you're relying on other tools outside of OSM though (e.g. Mapillary - you'd need to talk to them about whether they can create something that works with a test server).

Before you started the assignment did you ask about any kind of sandbox (or even "ask about what you needed to ask about"?).  It's great that the local OSM community have got involved with help students out at eg. https://github.com/TraceyLauriault/COMS2200A , but I suspect that a bit more warning might have avoided people been taken by surprise.  "Find your local OSM community and talk to them about what you're planning to do" would probably be the 0th thing that I'd suggest for any academic project like this.

Additionally, it'd be great to know what other specifc feedback you have for other people planning similar things.  If there are specific outstanding general questions maybe https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/ might be a good place to ask them?  It's not well suited to questions relevant to one mapper only but it's great for "how do I find out how to do XYZ with Overpass" or similar.

Best Regards,

Andy