The SOTM presentation was interesting.  Especially the bit about the 5% who
would cycle anyway and these are often the people who are asked about what
should be done to improve things for cyclists.  Are we asking the wrong
people?

I think we need to identify what tags would be useful for routing purposes
and to identify which standard tags we can use.

For example a nearby road has a cycle lane sort of depending how you define
it.  It does appear on the city's cycling maps but isn't snowplowed in
winter and is not formally signed to provincial standards.  It's Merkley
Drive K4A 1M7 if you want to look at it.  It used to be in Cumberland but
got amalgamated into the City of Ottawa.  There are other cycle lanes in
the City of Ottawa that do not meet provincial standards.

Traffic volumes would be nice but how do you estimate them or obtain them
via Open Data perhaps? The City of Ottawa probably has the data and we are
cleared to incorporate it into OSM.

Thoughts?

Cheerio John