Hi!

I would like to start a discussion on how we should deal with sidewalks tagged
separately, like it is is done in downtown Ottawa and like we are starting to
do in the Montreal region.

The issue is that by default highway=footway with or without footway=sidewalk
should have an implicit bicycle=no by default according to this page:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_tags_for_routing/Access_restrictions
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_tags_for_routing/Access_restrictions>

However, some osm users told me I should tag them with bicycle=no everywhere
because routing engines use sidewalks for bicycle routing which is illegal in
most part of Canada.

What are your thoughts on this ? Should we adapt to routing engines or should
routing engines fix the issue themselves?

Thanks!