On 15/09/2012 13:49, Richard Weait wrote:
On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 6:27 AM, Eric Marsden<eric.mars...@free.fr>  wrote:
DWG member Paul Norman has implemented a 24 hour account block on
contributor Marc Sibert, citing as justification the import guideline
concerning use of a dedicated account. Marc Sibert is a very active
member of the French OSM community, and there is overwhelming agreement
in the French Openstreetmap community that this aspect of the import
guidelines is not appropriate for semi-automated imports from the French
cadastre.
The import guidelines do not distinguish between better or worse
imports.  Only imports.  Any edits that includes a mass of data from
an external source is an import.  If it is done correctly, it will be
carefully inspected and de-duplicated and merged with existing data.
Then it becomes a "permitted import".  If it fails to be inspected,
de-duplicated and properly merged with existing data it becomes a
"reverted import".

This is not in dispute. (There could be a useful discussion concerning the manner in which DWG communicates with new/misguided contributors: your current approach is rather arrogant in assuming that everyone understands English. I would suggest that you build a network of local correspondants; I believe that someone has already volunteered to liaise with French contributors, but this proposal seems to have been ignored in this case.)

But it is still an import.  And it still requires,
per the community import guidelines, an import account.

I think you are misunderstanding. The community import guidelines concerning the integration of French cadastre data are at

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_France/Cadastre/Import_semi-automatique_des_b%C3%A2timents

Naturally, specialized guidelines which have been drafted by the local community which manages the data (I have not so far seen any French cadastre imports affecting the USA or Canada) trump more general guidelines. Interference by unelected people who do not contribute in the area and act against the local community's wishes, is unlikely to improve the situation.

Eric