i did not know it was common for OSS/linux/opensource/etc style
projects to charge there volunteers to attend , wish i was rich
computer programmer with lots of free time to kill at these events but
i am not , i am the complete opposition being disabled and unable to
find any neche in the computer world anymore , i found work very hard
when i was a computer programmer starting out and was only in work for
4 years and the company had a restructing. I lost my job and never
found another one been unemployed for 22 years now. I do not have a
degree and did try to get a computer programming degree but cos i was
too bad customer for the banks i could not pay for student halls (i
never paid for accomodation in the end at univeristy of humberside n
licoln at the hull campus) it was a nightmare. I did get a little bit
of support from disabled student suppport services got diagnose with
dyselixa and got a special stamp that i used on my assignments which
really meant that the lectureers just gave me a pass mark on most of
them some of thut programming stuff i was getting merits on.  I found
the degree pretty lame really and a lot of very dishearted lectureers
that where being overworked and stretched across a number of different
campuses.
The maths lecture just told me to copy somebody elses work cos he did
not have time to explain it too me.

so in the end i never went back after the first year and a few grand
in debt to the student loan company i guess they will never get it
back.

very bored mark in  redditch