2009/6/4 Peter Miller <peter.mil...@itoworld.com>:

> I have been looking at the coverage of maxspeed limit data for highways in
> the UK and we seem to have a right mix of styles.
> Here is the data for bug chunk of England while avoiding including anything
> from France or Ireland (which would include km/hour figure). We current
> have over 17,000 highway ways tagged with maxspeed and also 300 ways tagged
> as 'maxspeed:mph'. You will notice that for 30 miles per hour we have 30,

You're assuming that's not a 20mph limit expressed in rounded down kph.

> 30mph, 30 mph, 48.2, 48.28,  48.280, 48.27808, 48.28032 and 48.28.
> Any suggestion on what we should recommend for the UK? I guess the USA
> should also be party to this discussion but they have far less population of
> the maxspeed field (only 70 uses in the Bay area) so possibly we should come
> to a view first.  Our options seem to be:-
> maxspeed=30mph (the user should strip a trailing mph to find the value)
> maxspeed=30   (leaving it for the user to realise that it is in the UK and
> therefore imperial)
> maxspeed=30 mph (the user should strip the last word if it is mph including
> the space)
> maxspeed:mph=30 (Easy for the user)
> maxspeed=48.28 (with a defined precision) For metric use no work by the
> user, for imperial use a look-up table is required or a conversion and
> rounding

Meh. 30mph == 48.28032 ~ 48.28 ~ 48 (and is what the highway code says).
Any of those as tags will do for most purposes. The only one I'd
complain about is specifying a mph value without the unit because it's
impossible to determine what was intended. km/h is common enough to be
used as the default.
Whitespace is trivial to remove.

FWIW highway code conversions are:
20mph = 32