> Very helpful. And to be clear is says their should be a space between
> the number and the unit, ie '50 mph' not '50mph'.

I wouldn't get too concerned about the space, computers can handle that well,
so
an optional whitespace should be allowable.

> So..... are we reaching a point where we should do some clean-up work on
> the current tagging? Would that be appropriate?
>
> Should we add a space where required and convert the various km
> interpretations to either fit the proper km conversion from the table,
> or convert to mph.

Definitely do a tidy up. It would be so much easier for all UK speeds to be in
mph, both for data entry and validation. Let computers do the conversions to
metric if they need to.

> Is this something that Potlatch can do reasonably efficiently?

Apparently there's a bot doing something reasonably efficiently somewhere.
Is it helping or hindering?
Mario