On 17 Nov 2009, at 18:30, Tom Chance wrote:

2009/11/17 Tom Hughes <t...@compton.nu>
"Data relating to electoral and local authority boundaries as well as
postcode areas would be released for free re-use...

I might be unduly skeptical, especially thinking about some of the people now advising the Government on this, but I wonder if the consultation exercise will still end up fudging the "free" part, i.e. not quite going for a blanket "do what you want" license to get around any copyright and other possible legal restrictions.

Still, great if it happened, about time too.

I think a very good and useful test of how 'free' it is will be if it can be integrated into OSM or if we need to carry on with our dodgy 50 yo boundary data. My intention of working hard on the OSM boundary data a few months ago was to ensure that we had a credible (poor) dataset which would be used unless the OS data was released.

The big test will be if the OS also continue to sell the data as well. If they do then it isn't fully free. If they don't then they have nothing to loose from making it fully free.

Personally I think we can actually help it become free enough by a little appropriate pushing in the intervening period.

Regards,

Peter

Tom