I've been taking a look at the boundary data released as part of the OS
bundle. I've put together a little script that will extract a named
boundary as an OSM file ready for loading into JOSM. OS data uses the OS
projection and we use the WGS84 projection. I used ogr2ogr to transform
the data from one to the other, but there seems to be a bug with its
handling of the OS data projection. The resulting OSM way is the correct
size and shape, but is not in quite the right place. The discrepancy in
location varies across the UK, so a fixed correction will not work. The
variation between individual nodes will be too small to matter in a
parish boundary, but might be a problem for the biggest counties.

Does anyone have a different projection translator not based on GDAL
(where it seems the error lies)? Does a working version of ogr2ogr exist?

When this little problem is solved I then have to work on how to use the
resulting ways. I've been looking at the civil parish boundaries, which
only exist in England and Wales (communities in Wales). There seem to be
about 14,000, so dealing with them individually is an ideal
crowd-sourced project. :-)  The only other source of these data is NPE,
which are badly out-of-date in some areas.

Each boundary needs to share nodes with adjacent ones. County and
district boundaries will also need to share nodes, so the process of
dealing with any existing boundaries. Working on improving county
boundaries might be a good place to start.

Any suggestions or comments?

Cheers, Chris