On 6 Jun 2010, at 22:31, Matt Amos wrote:

> +1... or -1 as well? not sure how the arithmetic of these is supposed
> to work. anyway, i agree with phil.
>
> cheers,
>
> matt
>
> On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 10:13 PM, Phil James
> <peerja...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> At risk of being a fly in the ointment, judging by the largely
>> favourable responses to this idea, I for one would like to register
>> myself as
>> -1.
>> <Rant> Please don't map an area if you are not familiar with it. I
>> have
>> done some armchair mapping, but only where I am familiar with the
>> area,
>> and feel I can add value to the data I am entering. If you are that
>> desperate for a 'complete' map, go out and do more surveying, or just
>> use OS or other commercially available products.  I just feel that
>> blatant, blind copying of OS data is prostituting what I thought Open
>> Street Map was meant to be about.</Rant>
>> OK, I've got my tin hat on: standing by for incoming... ;-)

My strategy is to pick on an area (the four more easterly Suffolk
districts initially in my case) and first ensure that all the roads
from OS Streetview and OS Locator are included by tracing (I am a good
way through that work now). When I have all of the OS road data into
OSM I will then promote it within the local papers, both to let people
know that it is there and to encourage people to use it, but also to
encourage people to fill in the details.  I will then fill in the
pedestrian and cycling routes for individual places opportunistically
when I get the chance to visit the place with a cycle and will be able
to add this additional data in a single trip.

Personally I think we will get a much better and more complete map
faster by using all available resources; when people start using it
then their will be increasing interest in fixing any omissions.

So.. I think my recommendation is 'stick to your local area but
greatly increase your definition of what is local to encompass at
least one district or borough, and yes, do use the OS data that is
available and then supplement it with the odd day-out to fill in more
detail'. When you have completed your local districts then consider
adopting a further one but preferably one that you know to some extent.

As a company, ITO is very keen indeed to get full UK coverage of the
road, pedestrian, cycle networks and schools etc into OSM, in
particular for urban areas. We will be producing more tools over the
coming weeks to help identify the level of completeness for different
places, trends in completeness and others to help increase completeness.

Regards,

Peter Miller