On 26/10/2010 10:04, Dave Stubbs wrote:
On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 9:11 PM, Andy Mabbett<a...@pigsonthewing.org.uk>  wrote:
On 25 October 2010 12:47, Ed Avis<e...@waniasset.com>  wrote:
Shaun McDonald<sh...@...>  writes:
I have been adding the three letter short code as the ref tag when I have been
editing around stations. e.g. http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/9779990
OK so 'ref' is the de facto convention for this three-letter code.
Wouldn't it be better to have a unique key?

If not, why not?

(Genuine question; I'm relatively new to this.)

The contents of the ref tag is generally the publicly used reference
code for an object. For roads that'd be M1 or A303 etc. For stations
it'd be the three letter code that's in all the timetables and gets
printed on online booking receipts etc.

There's no harm in using ref for this as it doesn't really conflict
with anything else and it's what the key is for. To do a special key
would be a lot like doing a special key for station_name -- there's
little point and it just makes it harder for everyone to remember what
the keys are :-)

I disagree. It should be 'station_code' which is de facto, as used on Wikipedia & even on National Rail Enquiries.

Using that unique descriptive key clarifies what it is your trying to describe & makes it *easier* for everyone to remember..

Cheers
Dave F.