On 20 January 2011 17:44, Craig Wallace <craig...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On 20/01/2011 17:28, Peter Miller wrote:
>

>> On 20 January 2011 17:20, Tom Chance <t...@acrewoods.net
>> <mailto:t...@acrewoods.net>> wrote:
>>
>>    How about dialects?
>>
>>    name:en
>>    name:cy
>>    name:gd
>>    name:gv
>>    name:sco
>>    name:ga
>>
>>    Whatever other regional languages we have.
>>

>> we believe that the OS Locator content is always in English. In the
>> Western Isles the name field for roads in OSM often holds the Gaelic
>> version with the English in en:name hence our support for that tag. Do
>> tell me if I am wrong on that.
>>

> The OS Locator data does have Gaelic names in some places.
> See for example Portree:
> http://oscompare.raggedred.net/?zoom=15&lat=57.41533&lon=-6.20179&layers=B0TF
> Also some parts of Stornoway:
> http://oscompare.raggedred.net/?zoom=15&lat=58.21523&lon=-6.37094&layers=B0TF
>
> Though it is inconsistent, with English names for some roads, Gaelic names
> for others. I have also noticed a few places where it seems to have both
> languages, so it has a separate box for each.
> For Stornoway, the Gaelic names are in the name= tag, with name:en for
> English.
> But for Portree it is mostly the English name in the name= tag, with
> name:gd for the Gaelic names. Its debatable which one should be considered
> the 'primary' name there.

Interesting, although not 100% clear to me yet what the logic is. The
simplest solution may be to check all the alternative language tags as
suggested by Tom and not even try to understand the logic!

Incidentally, I notice that this product doesn't yet have a page on the wiki
and only gets a brief message on the ITO World page. If someone wanted to
get a page together and create an 'issues' section then that would be great
and might be a good place to capture the conclusions. I am rather busy for
the next day or so or I would offer to do it myself.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/ITO_World#OS_Locator_analysis

Regards,

Peter