On 18/05/2011 11:03, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
I note an increasing number of roads tagged with ref=C<number>:

    http://osm.org/go/euF7qf93-
    http://osm.org/go/eu6CM0IS-
    etc.

Leaving aside for now the question of sourcing, I feel a little uneasy about these being rendered on the map. Anyone using the map as, well, a navigational aid will think "turn left onto the C94... oh... hang on... what C94?".

So if we are to have such arcana in the database, and experience suggests you can't actually stop people adding arcana to OSM (I guess that's one of our strengths ;) ), it would be helpful to have some way of tagging "this ref is not actually signed". That way, renderers and routers could choose not to show refs which aren't helpful for their audience. Something like ref:signed=no would work.

I expressed similar concerns back in March 2010: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2010-March/008852.html>. I didn't get any particular support for my point of view, and I've since become an enthusiastic tagger of C-roads.

--
Steve